Wednesday, September 14, 2005

worship and decision

It's been a while since I've either a) had anything to say or b) had the time to blog what I have to say or c) felt like taking the time to blog what I have to say. I'm biting the bullet (wish I knew the derivation of that phrase) and sharing some today. It may be a little long and a little disconnected just because it has been a little while since I've expressed myself in this way.

Last weekend, I was given the opportunity to go to a Dave Matthews Band concert. It was pretty fun. That man is stinkin' talented. I got a little bummed, however, when I looked around and noticed that people were actually worshipping: hands lifted high, eyes closed, etc. Of course, being one unable to just enjoy something without reading into the deeper happenings and reflecting on humanity in general, I realized how sad it was that a concert was something they believed in, got some kind of significance, connection, and some purpose to this life. This was magnified as the crowd (including me) chimed in with Dave singing, "eat, drink, and be merry; for tomorrow we die." There's more to it than that for those who live in the truth of Christ. I thought about it a while and shared the thought with one of the guys I was with...he agreed and said there are three things Coloradoans participate in worship: a concert at Red Rocks (where we were), climbing a 14er (which I attempted a couple of months ago) and a Bronco's game (still on the list of things to do). Thinking about each of these activities, however, does not fill me with worship (well, experiencing the majesty I acknowledge as God's creation while hiking is worshipful, but in a different way, I think than the average CO person would) and makes me wonder just how empty life may seem for people all around me moment by moment. Interestingly, the lyrics to the song playing right now include, 'there's got to be more to life than chasing down every temporary high to satisfy me'...'there must be more to life.' And, indeed, there is. May I take the time to be aware of those who are seeking that 'more' and be prepared to live and give the answer to the hope I have.

Lately, God's been having to remind me of things that I thought I knew, but had neglected to live out in a purposeful and positive manner. As is usually the case, the day I read this by Oswald Chambers, God used it to bring me back to where He has me and why He has me here.

Missionary Weapons
If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet —John 13:14
Ministering in Everyday Opportunities.

Ministering in everyday opportunities that surround us does not mean that we select our own surroundings— it means being God’s very special choice to be available for use in any of the seemingly random surroundings which He has engineered for us. The very character we exhibit in our present surroundings is an indication of what we will be like in other surroundings.
The things Jesus did were the most menial of everyday tasks, and this is an indication that it takes all of God’s power in me to accomplish even the most common tasks in His way. Can I use a towel as He did? Towels, dishes, sandals, and all the other ordinary things in our lives reveal what we are made of more quickly than anything else. It takes God Almighty Incarnate in us to do the most menial duty as it ought to be done.
Jesus said, "I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you" (13:15). Notice the kind of people that God brings around you, and you will be humiliated once you realize that this is actually His way of revealing to you the kind of person you have been to Him. Now He says we should exhibit to those around us exactly what He has exhibited to us.
Do you find yourself responding by saying, "Oh, I will do all that once I’m out on the mission field"? Talking in this way is like trying to produce the weapons of war while in the trenches of the battlefield--you will be killed while trying to do it.
We have to go the "second mile" with God (see
Matthew 5:41 ). Yet some of us become worn out in the first ten steps. Then we say, "Well, I’ll just wait until I get closer to the next big crisis in my life." But if we do not steadily minister in everyday opportunities, we will do nothing when the crisis comes.

In other news, I've decided to apply to the PhD program in Communication (either critical cultural studies or interpersonal studies) at CU Boulder. I've signed up to take th GRE mid-October and will apply by the first of the year. After much prayer and a couple of other doors that were either never opened or seemingly shut, I think this is the direction I need to pursue. I'm not sure that I'll get in, but I at least have to try. I'll let you know what I find out. It's scary and exciting all the same time.

There are a couple of things unresolved in my life at this time, but again, I serve a living God who cares for me and sings over me. I have to trust that He knows what He's doing and I choose to, as best I know how, live out the scripture 'obedience is better than sacrifice.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home