Wednesday, October 15, 2008

encounters

on the plane ride back i sat next to a lady who was a psychologist/counselor/professor. i was reading my lifespan text and so as we were about to deplane, she asked what i was studying. i shared with her that i was taking two prerequisites for a Master's in Counseling. she then shared that's what she got and affirmed in the path I was choosing to become a counselor. Then she asked why I was in CO. She mentioned that even in only the few days she was there for a conference she starting feeling a bit trapped and missed the water. I told her that was exactly the reason I wanted to move back to the Bay Area and that I hadn't even realized it. I told her I was from the East Coast (it's true, and doesn't have the connotation of The South) and had never lived more than 2 hours from the ocean prior to living in CO. She said, she too was from the East Coast. She asked where I was from and I told her SC. She then lit up and said she was from Savannah! We talked about people being closed-minded and sweeping things under the rug.

It was just an interesting encounter of someone in whose footsteps I seem to be following, though I'd never met her before...

That to say, I think the idea is to wait a few years, go for my Master's in Counseling (a two year program if I go full-time) and concentrate on Marriage and Family therapy. I'm hopeful about that idea and the journey that lies ahead. If she (and two other ladies in the Bay Area I know who got the same degree at the same place I'm looking into and who're counseling/teaching now) I can too, right?

1 Comments:

At 6:30 AM, Blogger MMA Lady said...

That's an awesome encounter. And, yes, you can!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home