Monday, January 17, 2005

Poetry of Hope

I get the Writer's Almanac daily. The poem for Sunday was quite intriguing and I was drawn to a stanza within that offered incredible imagery of hope. I had to share it with those few who happen to muddle through the myriad thoughts and circumstances of yours truly.

I hope this kind of hopeful perspective for you, and you, and you...

"What I thought was an end turned out to be a middle.
What I thought was a brick wall turned out to be a tunnel.
What I thought was an injustice turned out to be a color of the sky."

excerpt from "A Color of the Sky" by Tony Hoagland, from What Narcissism Means to Me

What is hopeful is that a certain reality was insisted upon, yet the true existence was something not ended but that offered a way out, an extension, a continuation, a way to keep living life and not bank on everything having such an abrupt and pointless meaning, but turning into something more...

Reading it for the second and third times, I have also begun to think about how my thoughts sometimes miss the mark and make much of something little or little of something grossly remarkable, worthy not only of thought, but of a changed life. I also realize how futile my thinking can be without any action giving life to those thoughts. Sometimes that is a good thing, other times I let momentous moments only wish of becoming because of the control with which I force thoughts to cower and dissolve.

At the same time, I give thanks to the Creator of thought, of life, because His ways are not mine and His thoughts are much loftier (Isaiah 55:8-9). My thoughts are all over the place, though. Knowing his are loftier sometimes blows my mind, being that I am quite comfortable with the abstract, theorizing thus and so, floating above the 'what is' into the unknown of the 'what if.' At other times, I think that God's thoughts being loftier would not take much, seeing how mine camp out in filthy gutters, for a mere laugh or chuckle.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14

1 Comments:

At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like the "what is / what if" part. also, being my first time here, i like the "life beyond categories" in the title. and those are my extremely insightful comments of the day.

dowdy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home