Monday, January 16, 2006

Horse Therapy

I had a most interesting experience yesterday. I went with the staff and residents of the transitional home I live and work with to horse therapy. It was at a lady's house. She has two horses. One of her friends brought two more horses. This lady is a counselor/psychologist/therapist/something-like-that. Apparently, this technique is gaining in popularity. Getting around horses is supposed to bring out these deep and meaningful observations about people. Do I sound like I think it's good?
To give a little background, I am indeed from the South, but was raised in the suburbs/city, NOT in the country. I've never owned a pet in my life and I've never really been around animals (I don't count the zoo, aquarium, circus, or my sister ;)). I realize that animals are God's creation. I realize that they have their place and I think we as humans have our place and the two shouldn't necessarily mix (unless you call mixing me digesting said animal after it's cooked to my liking).
So being around horses was a new experience for me. I was quite hesitant.
In the end, I learned some stuff and was reminded about more stuff, too.
The topic for the day was non-verbal and verbal communication. So there were questions about what we thought the horses were 'saying.' Of course, I was thinking, they're not saying anything; horses don't talk (Mr. Ed, of course, the exception). But it was quite interesting to then hear the single moms talk about their boundaries and how they saw the same thing in the horses. I really did try and keep an open mind.
Interestingly, the counselor lady had us go into the fenced in area, but still away from the horses. She says, so what do you feel like doing...do you feel like getting a little closer? I say, I'm here to do what you say. She says, well, I'm not here to tell you what to do. It's all about what you're comfortable with. If you say you don't want to do something, then fine. Of course, I know what she's up to and really, she did tell us what to do. We proceeded to get closer to the horses, then we broke up into twos and got a brush and groomed the horses. I was thinking if I really had a choice...coffee and a good book by a nice cozy fireplace would be the ideal, but I digress.
So then as we're grooming the horses (one person on one side, another person on the other side) we're to tell of a recent painful experience. The other person listening is then to ask three questions.
At the debriefing, the question was asked, 'so how did you feel about discussing the painful experience while brushing the horse?' Everyone (but me) said it was easier because the horse was in between and created more of a safe environment. I didn't like it because I couldn't concentrate as much, as well as the fact that I couldn't see the other person's face, which is huge for me in communicating in person. So it was frustrating. It was harder for me to come up with the 'painful experience' standing there doing something else. I kept thinking, ok am I brushing the horse or am I talking about something. It felt like the other person didn't care as much because they were doing something else while (or to me, instead of) listening.
The moms seemed to get some out of it and went farther with the horses this time than last, which is good.
That's all I have to say about that for now.

1 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Blogger jeff said...

Sounds fantastic. I'll preface this next statement by saying I'm a terrible person: You should have told her you felt like smacking the horse because it was making you angry, or something similar just to give them something to talk about. On a serious note one of my friends is actually an equine therapy major at CSU. Sh eloves getting to work with kids, and says they have breakthroughs all the time. cheers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home