Monday, March 28, 2011

11. Where am I wrong?


This might well be the most powerful question on our list -- as Socrates believed, we gain our first measure of intelligence when we first admit our own ignorance. Your ego wants you to avoid noticing where you may have bad information or unworkable ideas. But you'll gain far more capability and respect by asking where you're wrong than by insisting you're right.


So I know I'm going slowly with these questions. And I thought a few times about quitting half-way and just blogging about life, but I just reread the rest of the questions, and I think it's worth finishing. I'm going to try and do one a day until I'm finished with them.

So this one is hard. Hard, I say. Goodness. Me, wrong? Just kidding. Kind of. Sometimes it's really hard for me to admit my wrongness. One of my favorite introductions to a sentence is 'In my humble, yet accurate opinion...'

But, it is good. I got put in my place just last week (well, I'm sure it's happened more recently than that, but this particular instance was hard for me to swallow and really got to me). I got haughty about not missing church. And put someone else in her place for missing church when I wasn't going to miss. But then we ended up missing church, and making everyone else miss church, too (we were meeting at our place). It stung. I haven't asked forgiveness from that person to whom I was fairly (and publicly) rude. But I have repented to God.

One way I'm realizing (again) to be 'less wrong' is to be slow to speak, slow to anger, and quick to listen.

Here's to not necessarily being less wrong, but quicker to realize my ability to be wrong and to be quiet more often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home