Wednesday, March 09, 2011

7. Are {vegans} better people?

Again, it doesn't have to be vegans; the brackets are for you to fill in. Substitute the virtue squad that makes you feel worst about yourself, the one you'll never have the discipline to join, whether it's ultra-marathoners or mothers who never raise their voices. Whatever group you're asking about, the answer to this question is no.

I've been really trying to work on not comparing myself, especially since Jack's been around.

But even more so most recently, I just got back from South Carolina. My mom thinks I hate the South. It's not true. For whatever reason, I knew by age 12 that I wouldn't live there forever. And that's not 'normal.' Especially in small Southern towns, people stick around. And they live next door to their other family members. And they get married right out of high school. And they have children right after that.

So I'm thinking about how I present where I'm from, how I took away the chance of spending more time with my family, how much my grandparents would have loved Jack. How I'm so who I am because of both of them.

And how it goes both ways: that I'm not better than others and others aren't better than I. We're all different. And God made it that way, I think, on purpose.

I want to be someone who values all people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home